Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Imagination gone too far?

About three months ago we hit the REAL imagination stage with Austin! I absolutely love the imagination. Their little personalities come out so much more when they are free to utilize their imaginations and there are so many more opportunities for entertainment!

Well, Austin's infatuation/fascination/obsession right now consists of two things and really only two things. One - meetings! Just like daddy, he is always going to meetings (mostly about his other obsession). We'll talk about having to go to MOPS or run some errands or a playdate and he will tell me, "Mommy, I can't, I have a meeting." So then, in attempt to further conversation and to make our outings joyous ones :-), I say, "oh, well I think your meeting is at church or the grocery store. I'll drive you." He's completely agreeable to where his meetings are, but the transportation part is a different story...
His second obsession - his space shuttle (and sometimes a plane, too). So, mommy's car never cuts it! He has to go in his space shuttle. Most of the time, however, his space shuttle is conveniently (for me, not him) broken or stuck in space, so he succumbs to the boring transportation mode of the minivan! It's amazing how his space shuttle can be brought into literally any conversation and seems to fit just fine!

Today, I picked him up from MOPS Ministry Team and he had a nice, fresh knot on his forehead. I asked the teachers what happedned and they didn't even know it was there. (I think they were concerned I would be upset, but honestly, they provide GREAT childcare, and with Austin, it could have happened anwhere at anytime and he generally doesn't whine about it, especially if I'm not there to hear it. What's that saying, "if mom's not in the room and a child gets hurt, upset, or saddened, does the child still whine?!" Something like that, right?) Anyway, all this to say, when we got to the car and everyone was strapped in and I had a second to chat with the kids, I asked him what happened to his head. He told me he fell off his space shuttle! Of course he did! I went along with it and figured I'd get the real story later. I tried two other times in the car and only heard the same thing. Isaac kept saying, "No, for REEEAAAL!" At home, with food in his tummy, I tried to focus him on MOPS and ask, but still only one answer - his space shuttle! Oh well. I guess there's no need to know the details!

5 comments:

Claire said...

i love the imagination!! i didn't know you had made the switch to mini-van...do you still have the wagon? i loved that thing!!!!

Mama to three said...

No, no more Cross Country. I loved it too, other than the expense, but once we got pregnant with Elyse, we knew we had to move up in size. We got the honda last November and LOVE it. Our cross country wouldn't have fit all three car seats.

Jessie said...

I'm a proud member of the "I love my minivan" Club too...how lame, but oh so wonderful too.

JoAnn said...

meetings... I don't remember the girls ever doing that one! too funny. can't wait to see you all. glad to see you're really getting into the blog. always enjoy reading it.

Hayley said...

Oh, dear, I miss them all--you all--so much. Austin, Austin...