Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Beginning of my 33rd year

I am from family.
From volunteering and leading.
I am from a hard-working dad and a hard-mothering mom.
I am from Home-cooked meals.
From Grannie’s Casserole and Shepherd’s Pie.
I am from encouraging words and the “B word.”

I am from Three sisters.
From playing school and pulling hair.
I am from an embarrassing blow-up at mom’s 50th birthday
and thankful for the best relationship with my sister because of it.

I am from church.
From singing in the choir and acolyting.
I am from Extended Family and ugly church politics.

I am from family traditions.
From traveling and family reunions with the Malone crappy singers.
I am from the talkative Malones, and the loud Tilneys.

I am from road trips.
From the reoccurring saga of the breaking-down scout and drawing imaginary lines along the seats between my sisters and I.
I am from parents with a solid and loving marriage and yet parents who argue about nearly everything.

I am from the outdoors.
From pooping in the woods, not latrines and from no-campground camping.
I am from rustic cabins at Soward Ranch and experiencing God in his creation.

I am from bedtime prayers.
From The Giving Tree and Keeping Christmas.
I am from Hallmark Hall of Fame Sunday Night Movies and 80’s cassette tape mixes.

I am from “The World is Your Oyster.”
From “Under Promise and Over Perform” and “Don’t Ask Permission, Beg Forgiveness.”
I am from “The Only Thing You Can Change is Change Yourself” and “Attitude is Everything.”

I am from 9 years of ballet and an injury to end it all.
From one LONG 6th grade year with Dr. Redding and surviving high school with my fellow Happeners.
I am from Romans 8:28 and experiencing God through living the tough life with friends.

I am from passing notes.
From Jazz Band and singing duets with Lisa.
I am from Anne Murray, James Taylor, Billy Joel, and Kids Incorporated.

I am from memories.
From stills recorded on film and those recorded on VHS.
I am from memories written and memories yet to come.
I wrote this for an exercise we did on MOPs Ministry Team last fall.

6 comments:

JoAnn said...

same comment as yesterday...."beautiful"

what a life, Erin. what a ride.

God bless you.

Mary said...

I love it! Wonderful memories....(Sometime you'll have to share exactly what the "assignment" was.)

Claire said...

this is fabulous erin! i loved it! i have to comment on kids incorporated....that was my fav show for a while...i think i can still sing the theme song :) happy birthday!

Chris, Molly, and Baby said...

Beautiful! I was drawn to what you mentioned about your mom's birthday and sisters. I had one of those this past summer with my sister. Lots of tears and yelling and years of pent up "stuff". All during my sister and her family's "dream" vacation to Colorado. My nephew said he never wanted to stay in a hotel again when visiting b/c the "drama" between my sister and I is way better than HBO at the hotel!! :)
Thank you for sharing.

Jessie said...

Aww, love it!

skm22777 said...

I LOVE that you shared this with everyone....it was amazing when I heard it the first time and even better reading it!!!! You're wonderful!!