Friday, March 12, 2010

A Sense of Humor at my Expense

These days, Austin is without a doubt, my easiest. Those of you that have known him from day one, or anytime in his first two years are probably shocked to hear me say that, knowing that he was a very "challenging" baby for two whole years. He screamed bloody murder for the first 4 hours of life, took a deep breath, and basically continued that way for the next two years.

All that to be said, he is in a fabulous stage now. A real joy. Elyse, however, is hitting that "busy" and potentially whiny stage. I am not allowing her to be whiny...she's going to have to bypass that stage, as our house already has a whiner and is plenty loud! :-)

Isaac, is definitely my biggest challenge right now. To the outside world, he is still fabulous - we hear he's the most considerate of his friends, extremely helpful, thoughtful, blah blah blah! At home, however, we are seeing a completely different kid. His attitude is so negative and he's always whining. No matter how much fun we have as a family, he inevitably is disappointed by something. It's exhausting.

Now, in addition to displaying a "DRA" (Dirty Rotten Attitude) via his words, he's now begun rolling his eyes!
Seriously??! He's FIVE!

My family may now be putting together what the title of this post is all about...

A little history:
I was always a good kid in school. A real people pleaser. A good student. Teachers always liked me. Until, that is, my 6th grade year with Dr. Redding!
In hopes to not make this a dissertation-length post (although it could be, due to the emotional scarring...) long story short: I supposedly rolled my eyes at her and was sent to the Principal's Office because of it! I say "supposedly" because if I actually rolled my eyes, I did it at Chris Allen, who was piece-by-piece eating his notebook paper. (Who wouldn't roll their eyes at that?!) Needless to say, it was a traumatic day/week/and year for me. All because I had an eye-rolling problem.

Now my 5 year-old is rolling his eyes at me! Boy does it push my buttons!
God sure does have a sense of humor!

P.S. Isaac does have his good moments at home, too...

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

i feel your pain

Jessie said...

Hilarious! I was also the good, reliable kid in school, but got in trouble in 4th grade for sticking my tongue out at Mrs. Fitch. And I really did it - no "supposedly" there. :)

And it's weird, I've had the same thoughts about Ben that you've been thinking about Austin lately ...he was definitely a needier baby than Max, but he has turned into an absolutely joyful 4-year-old that makes my heart sing. It's wonderful!