Thursday, May 27, 2010

Uncle Jim's Gourmet Cooking

A few days ago I was planning out our weekly dinner menu. One of the side dishes I planned on making was Jim's "Oh Rice Salad," so I had his cookbook out on the counter. Isaac was intrigued by it and started asking about it. When I told him it was a cookbook Uncle Jim had made, he said, "Oh, do they like to cook?!" I said, "yeah, they're really good cooks - gourmet cooks."
"Gourmet? What's that mean?"
"Well, it means they cook as well as the stuff you'd get in restaurants." (That seemed like a simple enough answer for a 5 year old.)

All of a sudden, after Isaac had a second to let my answer marinate, he said with really big, wide eyes and an enthusiasm that always seems to go hand-in-hand with food for Isaac, "You mean like corndogs?!!!"

Sigh...

"No, not like corndogs!"

Clearly, I don't cook gourmet...

1 comment:

meg said...

Does he only eat corndogs at restaurants?